The Porsche 356 was a hybrid of new-and-old elements, incorporating an entirely new body design that was developed by Porsche employee Erwin Komenda. The first Porsche 356 was road-certified in Austria on June 8, 1948. The 49 original 356 roadsters (which commonly became known as at the “pre-A” roadsters) were easy to differentiate from later models because they featured a two-piece windscreen divided by a center bar. The aluminum-bodied cars from those first years of production are now commonly referred to as the 356 “prototypes.” (they are rare and expensive). From its introduction in 1948 until its final iteration in 1955, a total of just 7,627 Porsche 356 (pre-A) examples were produced.
In late 1955 with a number of small but significant changes made to the 356’s overall design, the Porsche 356 A was introduced. While the car was stylistically similar to its 356 pre-A predecessor, the car now featured a single-piece, curved panoramic windshield. The 356 A also featured a modified front-lid handle that now included the Porsche crest. Perhaps more impressive than the aesthetic changes were the range of engines that could not be purchased when buying a Porsche 356 A. The car came with an available five different engine options. From 1955 to 1959, Porsche manufactured a total of 21,045 examples of the Porsche 356 A
In late 1959, significant styling and technical refinements resulted in a complete re-design of the Porsche 356 A. The key visual difference between the A and B series cars was the 356 B included a more pronounced front bumper with enlarged rim guards, higher-positioned headlamps, a wider, front-lid handle, more pronounced horn grilles and further-protruding front indicators. The rear bumper was also re-positioned higher than previous models. In mid-1962, the 356 B model was changed to the T6 body type. By the time the Porsche 356 B had been introduced, and throughout its entire production run, it remained one of the best-selling of the 356 variants. From 1959-1963, a total of 30,963 Porsche 356 B examples were manufactured.
The final variant of the 356 series was the Porsche 356 C, which was introduced for the 1964 model year. Although the car carried a new designation, it was actually very similar to its predecessor, save for a couple of small, but significant, changes. The introduction of the 356 C in 1964 also reduced the available engines for the car to just three, with the existing 60 hp variant being discontinued completely. Porsche offered a 75hp, 95hp and 130hp car. Production of the Porsche 356 C peaked at 14,151 units in
The Porsche 64, also known as the Type 64 and Type 60K10, is considered by many to be the first automobile from what was to become the Porsche company, and a true design precursor to the post-war production model. The model number comes from the fact that it was built mainly from design drawings for the Type-64 "record car". Most mechanical parts came from the 38 prototype series. The chassis was heavily reinforced and the engine also reworked to produce around 40 horsepower. The Type-64 was only a drawing until the three racers were built. The body was also a compromise in that the cab had to look like a KdF car, but the rest was 'record' car. The VW beetle was the Type-60, and the name the "60K10" means body design 10 for the Type-60 Beetle. Its flat-four engine produced 50 bhp and gave a top speed of around 160 km/h (99 mph).
The Cisitalia Grand Prix is a single-seater car for the postwar 1.5-litre supercharged Grand Prix class, built by Italian sports car manufacturer Cisitalia and introduced in 1949. It was designed on behalf of Cisitalia by Porsche between 1946–47, and is therefore also known by its Porsche project number, Typ 360.
An extremely advanced design, it proved too complex to build for the small Italian firm—leading to a lengthy development and eventually to the financial downfall of the company. Between Cisitalia's 1949 liquidation and the fact that supercharged engines were banned for the 1952 Formula One season, the car never raced.